[Rhodes22-list] Diamond Board Depth

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Mon Mar 8 17:41:56 EST 2010

Bob:

Thanks, I was hoping someone would tell me the board is only half way down
and that by lowering it all the way I would improve my ability to point
higher into the wind.  Suppose I just need to learn to adjust my sails
better.  I seem to only be able to come to within about 50-60 degrees of the
apparent wind when beating.  Enclosed is a trip I recorded last year on my
iphone and then imported to cad in order to do a crude set of measurements.
The average angle off the wind for the trip is about 54 degrees.  According
to Wikipedia, see page two of the enclosed pdf file, that’s about average
for a shallow draft boat.  At least it's better than 90 degrees for a square
rigger; otherwise we would never get anywhere.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p27828783/trip_01.pdf trip_01.pdf