[Rhodes22-list] Carrier landings - Doing it and Observing it

Bob and Kathy Quinn bobandkathyr22 at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 16 17:22:34 EDT 2010

As an Air Force guy I got to spend
three months with the US Navy in the Persian Gulf and the Arabian Sea.  I
was stationed with the Joint Task Force Middle East on the USS LaSalle Command and
Control ship during Desert Shield (escorting tankers in and out of Kuwait).
 Went for some R&R (rest and recuperation) on the USS Constellation
carrier.  I was on a COD (Carrier On Board delivery craft) going out and
coming back, so I got my "cat and trap" (catapult take off and trap
landing).  I was on the carrier for a week and the Navy fliers treated me
with tours of the Tomcats and F18s.  Observing nighttime launches and
recoveries from the deck and tower was a thrill.  I can only imagine what it would
be like from the cockpit.   Bottom line:  we owe the men and women
who serve in the US Navy a debt of gratitude for their service.  The dangers of daily operations and cramped quarters (the carrier was much more comfortable than the LaSalle) made me appreciate the sacrifices endured by our great Navy folks.
Bob in Florida