[Rhodes22-list] Compass placement recomendations

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Thu Mar 18 09:59:41 EDT 2010

Sam,

Here's a picture of my compass mounted on the port bulkhead and my
depthfinder on the starboard.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p27945958/At%2BEase%2Bin%2BMarch%2B006.jpg
At+Ease+in+March+006.jpg

Neither get in the way if you want to use the bulkhead as a backrest.

I'm a daysailor and have yet to sail far enough to need a compass or GPS for
location, but I use them both continuously and want to easily view them from
the helm.

I use the compass exclusively to ensure I stay on tack.  Once I'm "in the
groove" I check my heading and if I slow down or the sails start luffing
it's typically because I've slightly altered my direction as opposed to the
wind changing.

You can see my handheld GPS sitting on the counter by the sink.  I use it
almost exclusively to check my speed.  Speedwheels in my salty sailing
waters quit working in a matter of days.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD

Sam,

Mine is mounted in the trash can.  A GPS is much better with a handheld
compass for backup.

Rick