[Rhodes22-list] Straw Poll Ocean or Lake

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 20 10:21:16 EDT 2010

Ron,

I suspect the better choice comparison in this debate is lake and coastal, both of which are game for our R22.  I have also found that insurance underwriters are very sensitive to the issue - they prefer the 'lake' definition, although they will include 'coastal and inland' if you press the issue and are a legit fiscal conservative like Stan.  I'm not sure about Lee, the army guy that owes me a lunch, bigtime...

I'm not sure the Chesapeake would really fit in the insurance definition as a 'lake', so at risk of stirring a hornet's nest, which I never ever do, our colleagues on Chesapeake Lake might so validate their insurance coverage definition, just to cover their six.  LIS sailors might do likewise - Pugit Sound to boot.  Just an ounce of prevention.

Re the 'ocean' option, I have never had to venture beyond coastal, probably never will care to.  We have such beautiful options in Florida for trailing/sailing, I even question the necessity for Bahamas, although Bill Wittman had his spectacular Bahama Adventure.  San Juan sailing would be perfecto, although a long way to trail from EC.  Chris the Greek has sailed the Pacific Coast, so I wonder if he would venture on a N-S cruise to a San Diego/LA/Catalina destination.  I have speculated on an Everglades to Brownsville extended via the coastal waters, although any extensive cruising would have to be alot more fun with 2+ boats, also much safer and more confident.

I wonder if many of stretch our options with the R22 to anywhere near our capabilities.  I have greatest admiration for the Kellers of RichmondHillTown fame with their determined anchoring cruises out of Punta Gorda.  I am convinced that they have a ball!

Frankly, my most prime objective with the BR has been to prove-in the potential of stratching beyond day-sailing in this magnificent boat.  Many have no interest in this, but all of us, including those we pass our boats to someday, will have the honest capability.

Art
s/v Mary Jane
Lake Hartwell