[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Weight

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sat May 1 14:15:42 EDT 2010

Hi Geoff,
Newer trailers are heavier than older ones. I believe our new
galvanized single axle Triad is about 1000 lb (determined by
subtracting cargo rating on one sticker from GVWR on another.) Twin
axles will be more older single axles will be less. We figure with
our stuff, boat, motor & trailer we are hauling something like 4300 -
4500 lbs. Height will depend on whether you have the mast on the
crutch from the mast raising system. Not sure what the other
measurements are but I know that even without the mast, the boat on
the trailer is too tall and too long for a standard garage (back when
we had a garage).

Our old Chevy Blazer with a 5000 lb tow rating towed our boat fine on
the flat (I95 PA to MD) and retrieved it well at the launch ramp. Our
Nissan Frontier with a 6300 lb tow rating is better at both jobs
though now that we live in MD, we don't tow the boat any great
distance any more.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD