[Rhodes22-list] Cotter pins vs. rings

Matthew Porter matthewporter27 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 13:27:33 EDT 2010

Hi all,

This may be a question more appropriate for those of you who leave the
standing rigging, well, standing, but I'd like to know what you use to
secure the clevis pins on your boats.

As a bit of backstory, you should know that I've recently inherited
(pre-death) the Rhodes from my uncle, a lifelong sailor.  My sailing
experience is limited to a handful of daysails, but the Admiral in my life
has considerably more time on the water (she never lets me forget that she
attended St. Mary's College of Maryland, where, to hear her tell it, they
hand out ASA certifications with every diploma).

My uncle, who is incredibly accident prone, is of the opinion that the
"cotter rings" (what I call "expensive stainless key chains") tend to come
loose, and basic cotter pins are more secure.  My (limited) impression is
that while the cotter pins may be more secure, they make it more difficult
to take out a pin if the need should arise.  It would seem that the rings
would make sense if you are trailering your boat quite a bit, but we'll be
in a slip for the season.

I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks,

Porter