[Rhodes22-list] Bent Stainless Steel Tubing

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Sun May 16 23:48:59 EDT 2010

So glad you asked, Dave.  HD has a conduit pipe bender, although use it with greatest caution, because the lower tube section (1" SS) is nearly a perfect fit with the upper section (7/8" SS), which slips inside.  Very little tolerance for variation from the normally straight condition.  I would suggest taking the top U shaped section off of the pop-top to make your work easier.  If it cannot re-bent, there might be options short of trying to have the entire top bar replaced.  Just be absolutely certain and mark the bend well before diving in.  I use this same bender for tubing on a bimini I make, but it is an exacting process.  As a reference, Ron Singerman had an identical, but more severe bend from when a guest leaned or fell against his pop-top, so it could be worse...

Art