[Rhodes22-list] anchor light

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri May 21 08:39:02 EDT 2010

Joe,

If I ever anchor at night I'm gonna want to be seen, regardless of what Stan or the Coast Guard say.  I'm thinking disco ball.

I like your poem.  I believe in God and the Pythagorean Theory--not so much God's formula:

"Perhaps the most unusual argument for evidence of God has come from mathematics. Some have suggested that the compact formula ei*pi + 1 = 0 is surely proof of a Creator and have called this formula "God's formula." Edward Kasner and James Newman in Mathematics and the Imagination note, "We can only reproduce the equation and not stop to inquire into its implications. It appeals equally to the mystic, the scientists, the mathematician." This formula of Leonhard Euler (1707-1783) unites the five most important symbols of mathematics: 1, 0, pi, e and i (the square root of minus one). This union was regarded as mystic union containing representatives from each branch of the mathematical tree: arithmetic is represented by 0 and 1, algebra by the symbol i, geometry by pi, and analysis by the transcendental e. Harvard mathematician Benjamin Pierce said about the formula, "That is surely true, it is absolutely paradoxical; we cannot understand it, and we don't know what it means, but we have proved it, and therefore we know it must be the truth." Mathematics certainly says more in fewer "words" than any other science. David Eugene Smith in A History of Mathematics in America Before 1900 wrote, "The formula, ei*pi + 1 = 0 expressed a world of thought, of truth, of poetry, and of the religious spirit 'God eternally geometrizes.'"

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD