[Rhodes22-list] Sinking at the dock

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu May 27 14:52:27 EDT 2010

Gary,

Did you replace the rubber seal?  Did the seal make good contact with both
halves?  Did you crack the top when removing it?  Did you tighten all 60+
nuts and bolts in the correct order (to spread the gasket out flat?)  Did
you over-tighten any bolts causing a small crack in the sealing flange? Did
you crack the hose fitting or break the seal on the fitting at the pennant
exit from the top in the rear?  There are many points of failure of the CB
trunk system.

Before I would tear apart the walls, I would make darn sure that the trunk
is sealed properly.  My '81 was always wet, from day one, until I serviced
the CB trunk myself.  I routinely use a sealant on both sides of the gasket,
contrary to Stan's instructions.  The major problem with sealant usage is
gunking up the internal lines and gasket removal for service.  You must be
very careful not to get any sealant on the lines or moving hardware.  You
must also be careful not to damage the surface or the top when prying apart
for service.  It does keep my bilge bone dry.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Gary Lockhart" Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:34 PM