[Rhodes22-list] Sinking at the dock!

foredeckguy gary_lockhart33 at yahoo.com
Sat May 29 16:36:16 EDT 2010

Just a follow up. Have removed cabin and center area floors. Water added to
the starboard side under where to potty should be flows out of the trunk
cracks. Also the board that holds up the floor on the starboard side used to
be attached to the hull with fiberglass and resin but is broken away by
about 1/4 inch for most of its length. I poured water in that area and it
ran directly out of the centerboard trunk cracks.
So, the obvious repairs are pulling up the floor support and digging into
the bulging sides of the centerboard trunk to remove rotten ballast
material, then fill gaps and renew the fiberglass.
I am conflicted about how to remove the one centerboard pivot slot that is
leaking at the pin location. How should it be removed, repaired and put back
into the proper place? Do I just cut it out, repair it from the back, chip
out clearance from the ballast, bevel the edges and glass back in? I got the
Don Casey book from the library, lots of good info.
Gary s/v Coquina '79 Rhodes Continental
Snow Hill, MD