[Rhodes22-list] Hit by a car, can my rhodes be saved?

Alex McKenna alex at brightrhino.com
Sun May 30 13:23:06 EDT 2010

Ben and everyone,

This is about the feeling I am getting after talking to my insurer, an
attorney in the area, and hearing from another insurance guy. It's seems
likely I will have a hard time getting any money from his insurer. I now
have a copy of the police report, the driver, Jesus is from Peru, has no
license, or ID of any kind, and borrowed his roommate's car. His family had
to bring his Peruvian passport to bail him out. He was charged with driving
without a license, Leaving the scene, and most amusingly, failure to
maintain lane.

The police ran the plate, found the address, started driving that direction
and found Jesus walking on the side of the road. Picked him up, read his
Miranda rights, he admitted he was the driver, said he fell asleep while
driving home from work.

The roommate agreed he let Jesus, the driver, borrow the car. At least the
car was insured with State Farm. I am going to call them Tuesday, and see
what they say. My insurance will cover the boat up to $1,000.

At this point it seems likely his insurance will total the boat and take it,
I have no idea if I can buy it back.

If not I may just try and buy another sailboat for the near term, and keep
my eye out for another Rhodes. Any for sale?

I really appreciate all the replies, on and off the list.

I have been lurking on the list for over a year, and the generosity and
helpfulness of this group was one of the largest determiners in finding a
Rhodes.

>Alex is in for a battle too. The cops should have charged the guy with DUI.
There is no rule that he must >be "in the car" when they catch up with him.
That was baloney. His homeowners carrier will likely claim >the boat was not
"appurtenant" to the house, and the guy's auto carrier will want to pay at
most the >amount of money he could have sold the boat for on the day before
the wreck (next to nothing). Most >lawyers will not be interested in getting
involved because no one was hurt and the case has no real value. >Maybe some
lawyer will be willing to sue Alex because the fence was too close to the
road  ;>)

This seems increasingly the most likely result :-)

I will make sure to build the replacement fence farther away, and I will
make sure to put a few steel posts in concrete behind it.

Hopefully,

Alex