[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Upwind

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Mon Nov 1 15:33:26 EDT 2010

Dave,

"I have never
liked the 175 genoa very much because I can't sail nearly as close to
the
wind as any of hundreds of other sailboats on our lake."

I don't think a smaller Genoa will help you sail closer to the wind as
much as re-routing your sheets.  You still won't be able to pull your
jib or smaller Genoa closer to the center of your boat if your sheets
are run outside of the outer shroud.

As for sail shape, you can pull a 175% Genoa just as tight as a smaller
Genoa.  A smaller Genoa won't have as much rolled-up bulk around the
furler and the sail will be closer to the deck, which will probably
improve performance slightly if you're on a close reach.

The primary reason I would opt for a smaller Genoa is because I use the
full 175% sail less than 20% of the time.  When I do use the full 175% I
swear I'll never go with anything smaller.

Feel free to give me a call if you'd like to discuss upwind performance.
202.476.5369

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE