[Rhodes22-list] Bottom Paint

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Nov 8 11:11:29 EST 2010

Hi Todd,

Thanks for a link to a relatively instructive set of videos.  As far as "a
great series of videos" goes, there's nothing great about bottom painting,
unless you can find someone else to do it for you.

On thing the videos neglect to explain is that many yards will not allow
customers to paint due to DEC & EPA regulations.  I am not sure if this is a
real issue or it is being used to generate revenue for the yards.

I paint on the trailer with a system to lift the hull several inches above
the bunks.  I used Pettit ACP50 for years and switched to WM CPP blue (made
by Pettit for WM, similar to Petitt Ultima SSA) several seasons ago due to
price.  It works very well in LI Sound, although it is a single season
product.  The Pettit ACP50 has been replaced by the Pettit Horizons
Multi-season paint.  Since I launch once a season, CPP is fine.  If I were
trailer sailing, I would go back to Horizons Multi-season paint.  The major
problem with a single season paint like CPP when trailering is that it
becomes too hard for adequate ablative action if allowed to dry for more
than 2 weeks while the Horizons stays soft.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: <sprocket80 at mail.com> Sunday, November 07, 2010 5:10 PM