[Rhodes22-list] Wet Sanding vs. Buffing faded boat

CarolN8 at aol.com CarolN8 at aol.com
Fri Nov 12 14:52:42 EST 2010

My Rhodes is now 10 years old. It has (had) a dark blue hull which has now
faded and gotten extremely oxidized in the Colorado sun. I have gotten
quotes to  have it wet-sanded for about $1800. But I just took it to get the
bottom acid  washed, and the guy there said he can get most of the color back
by using  chemicals to get the oxidation off and then buffing it down. The
stuff I've used  in the past to do this hasn't worked as well as whatever he
is using. This would  cost between $800 and $1100. He did a small area while
I was standing there, and  it did get a much better color by the time he
buffed it. It's still somewhat  faded but much better than the rest of the boat.

My question is whether to spend more money and go ahead and wet-sand it, or
 spend less money (but still a significant amount), and do the oxidation
removal  and buff. The buff and wax guy said it's better not to wet sand it if
possible,  because it takes off the clear coat and more of the gel coat. I
just don't know  if that's true or if it's something I should worry about.

Does anyone have suggestions as to which way to go on this?

Thanks!

Carol