[Rhodes22-list] Genoa failure

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 18 11:28:51 EST 2010

Has anyone had a similar problem that I had?  I have a 2 year old genoa - the sail is still almost like new and on my sailing trip in S. Florida last week the loop connecting it to the top of the furling tube frayed and broke.  The sail immediately started to drop and we  were able to furl it and only missed out on the last 2 hours of sailing fortunately.  You can see the pictures attached where the loop frayed and Doyle said it was likely UV deterioration that weakened it.  My complaint is that there is no way that this should happen after only two years. It is an easy fix to have a sail loft replace the loop with a more stout version.

Never had this issue with the previous genoa because it was attached by sliding over the furling tube in a sock-type manner with screws securing it top and bottom - much more secure method although the sail shape and pointing ability is better with the new method of attaching the sail.  Has anyone else had this problem with a broken loop on their genoa or did I just get a bad "batch" of material as some have suggested?

Bob K
Yankee Clipper