[Rhodes22-list] gas tank in laz

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Nov 18 16:13:31 EST 2010

First, Ben C., until national healthcare is a reality, we can still choose
to endanger ourselves, so they are free to do as they please.

Next, Charles, is the question of "What constitutes adequate ventilation?"
The 1" - 2" opening between the laz and the underseat area only amounts to
about 1/4 sq ft total, not nearly enough to qualify as natural ventilation
of a 10-15 cu ft space.  In addition, the space communicates with the cabin
and bilge spaces, a definite no-no for combustible vapors.

As far as sources of ignition are concerned, there are many.  First, most of
us have electrical systems with at the very least the required stern lamp in
the laz, not to mention depth sounders, solar powered fans, electric start
engines, alternators and power lifts.  A short circuit in any of these
electrical devices or wiring that passes through the laz could become a
source of ignition.  Just because you are not using your electrical system
does not mean it should not be evaluated, since a new skipper (or spouse)
may hook up a battery in the future.  BTW, USCG requires working navigation
lights during hours of darkness so you should have functional lights just in
case you get caught out late.

The other sources of ignition typically involve fire, such as smokes,
lighters (don't forget about grill lighters stored in the laz) or static
discharges.  Since fiberglass is a good quality insulator, it is entirely
possible to build up a charge on the hull as the air passes around the
Dacron sails.  While I have never heard of someone getting a shock in this
matter, one cannot rule it out as a source of electrostatic ignition.

Of course, every discussion of static electricity discharges on the water
must include lightning.  Without starting a discussion on grounding the
mast, just assume that ungrounded rigging was exposed to the field via a
near strike.  A potential source of discharge could be from the back stays
through the laz to the water filled cockpit drain hose.  If you are lucky,
you would be home during the storm.  Better to be safe than lucky.

This all brings to mind a different question.  What is the benefit of
placing the fuel tank in the laz?  No, you cannot tell me the laz provides
security - it's the first place the crooks break into before attempting the
pop-top / cabin door.  If they are after fuel, I'd rather they take it and
leave the rest of the boat alone.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY