[Rhodes22-list] With Much Regret I must part with my Project Rhodes

sprocket80 at mail.com sprocket80 at mail.com
Sat Nov 20 14:45:07 EST 2010

 I have a 1977 project boat which has been sitting on a trailer in my back yard for some 7 or 8 years now.  I have finally had an
honest internal dialog and convinced myself that this is a project I will never get around to completing and it needs to go. It is a
major project boat and I am tired of pumping rain rater out of the cabin every few months. It needs major cleaning, there is a 6" or so sized soft spot in the forward area of the raised cockpit floor, and the floors and stringers in the cabin will need work/replacement. The foredeck seems to be pretty sturdy, but there are some stress cracks in the gelcoat where the seats meet the aft wall of the cabin.
All of the major pieces are there: a couple of serviceable main sails, 175? genny in need of sewing repairs, boom, mast, c/b, two Gb tube type furlers and rudder with spare rudder head made of 1 1/2" white KingStarboard which cost $125 from a machine shop. I have made solid port covers from smoked Plexiglas to cover the leaking front port-lights. It is on an EZ roller trailer which I modified with bunks which exactly match the Triad trailer dimensions. The bow pulpit is bent and broken, but I have spare bow pulpit and stern railing. I have what is left of the v-berth cushions which I de-constructed, plus other miscellaneous parts and fittings.I have two booms and masts but want to keep one of each (any buyer can pick the best one to take...I just want to keep one of each for spare. No motor is available.

The boat and trailer are at the bottom a hill and may need to be winched out to prevent destroying my yard. (Don't ask how it got down there, but it involved soiled underwear and a jack-knifed rig to avoid ending up in the woods.)

I live in Brandywine, Maryland...about 35 miles south of Washington DC.  I have never titled the boat but have my bill of sale plus a signed title from a P.O.  The trailer has a home built title from Maryland. This would be a nice winter project for someone with a garage and the time, tools, ans skills

The terms:

 I would like to get rid of this boat and trailer as a package deal only, provided the new owner has a 4 wheel drive vehicle and/or winch and we can get the boat out of the yard without damaging the ground or my septic system. The boat is free, (to avoid any discussion about Certificate of Support from or commissions to GB), but I need to have about $750 (or best offer) for the trailer.  I won't be free to have/help with removal until about the first or second weekend in December,

If anyone is interested, you can e-mail me privately at
sprocket80 at mail.com

Todd Tavares