[Rhodes22-list] R22 vrs 26RK

peter klappert peterklappert at comcast.net
Tue Oct 19 22:24:00 EDT 2010

I should have said pitch, yaw & roll. I'm closer to harbor but not there yet.

2003 Klingle Rd NW
Washington, DC 20010
202 483 3822 C: 202 821 2679

911 Silver Palm Way
Apollo Beach, FL 33572
813 645 5601 C: 202 821 2679

At the Poem Society a black-haired man stands up to say
"You make me sick with all your talk about restraint and mature talent!
Haven't you ever looked out the window at a painting by Matisse,
Or did you always stay in hotels where there were too many spiders
     crawling on your visages?
Did you ever glance inside a bottle of sparkling pop,
Or see a citizen split in two by lightning?
I am afraid you have never smiled at the hibernation
Of bear cubs except that you saw in it some deep relation
To human suffering and wishes, oh what a bunch of crackpots!"
The black-haired man sits down, and the others shoot arrows at him.
A blond man stands up and says,
"He's right! Why should we be organized to defend the kingdom
Of dullness? There are so many slimy people connected with poetry,
Too, and people who know nothing about it!
I am not recommending that poets like each other and organize to
     fight them,
But simply that lightning should strike them."
Then the assembled mediocrities shot arrows at the blond-haired man.

                    from "Fresh Air," by Kenneth Koch