[Rhodes22-list] Hurricane Earl

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Fri Sep 3 08:44:08 EDT 2010

I routinely put a tie, line, or strap around the furled jib to prevent it
unfurling under any circumstances.  Also, I use a sail tie and mini-bungee
cords to secure the sliding block on the boom and clew of the main.  I had
problems in the past with it moving around in gale winds on the mooring and
fraying the main outhaul.  I would also check and clear all scuppers.

As secure as you make your boat, you have no defense against the boat(s)
moored upwind.  I would expect the wind in your area to start in the
southeast and swing around to the north or northwest as the storm passes.
That gives lots of opportunity for half the careless dumb$#!7$ in your
mooring field who didn't do anything to prepare to lose their boats and
damage yours too.  That's why my boat is on its trailer in my driveway, 30
miles inland. (Also, my mooring in Salem, MA is wide open to swells from the
east.)

At this point, I expect my season is over, as limited as it turned out to
be. The boat club starts shutting down in a few weeks anyway.

Good luck

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer