[Rhodes22-list] Water in bilge from line w/o check valve?

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Sep 7 07:01:31 EDT 2010

Alan,
Just curious, but why did you plug the sink drain?

Rummy

In a message dated 9/6/2010 10:43:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bigal_61 at msn.com writes:

We also  have a thru hull for the sink which we plugged from the outside.
Our  factory-installed Ruhl bilge pump is routed under the sink and out
through a  hole into the cockpit. Hole is through bulkhead and located under
starboard  side cockpit seat. We never use it since we never get enough water in
the  bilge to turn it on automatically. Rather, I cut out a 5" square piece
from  the cabin floor board, this right next to forward bulkhead ;I tapered
the cut  out square so it would fit back in the hole to cover up and so
carpeting does  not get wet. We use sponges and scoop( small flour scoop) to
swab out bilge  and dump into small bucket which when full gets dumped back
into where it came  from.
If cabin seat drains next to the lazarette cover can't handle a  downpour,
overflow slops into lazarette and finds its way into the bilge via  the
bottom hole though the forward lazarette wall. This is where most of our
bilgewater comes from.

Alan & Barbara Robertson