[Rhodes22-list] Fractured stern plate.

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Sep 22 11:09:22 EDT 2010

Hi Pat,

As an engineer, the problem appears to be caused by one (or more) problems
as follows:
    1.    Motor weight exceeds design specification
    2.    Live load (motor, waves, wind, etc.) exceeds design specification
    3.    Improper structural material formulation or specification
    4.    Damage or abuse (backed into fixed object, collision, etc.
    5.    Storm damage

Since I must assume that Stan built the motor lift and provided the engine,
one must assume that #1 is out.  As good as Stan is, engineers do revise
their designs to correct "oversights."  It is entirely possible that as the
4-cycle electric start engine weights continue to increase, the design of
the lift may need to be redesigned (#1, #2 & #3.)  An aluminum plate would
seem to indicate that such a process has already been started at GBI.

If designed properly, you should not be capable of damaging the lift by
having "raised the Yamaha too high."  IMHO, the only time that you could be
at fault would be in cases like #4.

Is it safe to sail?  Well, make sure that your safety chain is in good shape
and of the correct length so that you do not lose the motor should the plate
fail.  You could also have difficulty raising or lowering the motor if the
damage affects the mechanism.  Also, be careful since the cracked material
can be very sharp.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY