[Rhodes22-list] Bowsprit

David Culp daculp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 19:32:34 EDT 2011

I think you will need a bigger main if you want a bowsprit for the headsail
unless it's a spinnaker for running.

dc

Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 13:35:21 -0400
From: Mary Lou Troy <mtroy at atlanticbb.net>
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Bowsprit
To: The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>

Actually the most amazing thing about our UPS (a big parachute type
sail) is its ability to move the boat on anything from a near-reach
to a run in light air conditions that would have the big heavy genoa
collapsing. We rarely use the whisker pole anymore. Actually, since
we got the lighter weight sacrificial strip on the genoa we don't use
the UPS as much either. Tradeoff, of course is that the lighter
weight strip doesn't give as much sun protection as the Sunbrella.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD

At 12:40 PM 4/2/2011, you wrote:

>I'm sure big parachute type sails would help for light wind runs but
probably
>less on a Rhodes than most boats.  Our boats are so light with little drag
>in relation to that big Genoa.  If the wind is too light for using the
>whisker pole it's time for me for fire up the iron Genny.
>
>Lee
>1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
>Kent Island, MD
>

>R22RumRunner wrote:
> >
> > The whole idea of a bowsprit is to increase the amount of sail area.
> > Personally, I think the 175 already adds sufficient sail area. Several
> > times on
> > a downwind run I have buried the bow because I was over powered.
Although