[Rhodes22-list] any racers on the list?

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Wed Apr 6 08:24:45 EDT 2011

The Wednesday evening racers in Annapolis have opportunities for crew
members, but I wish I could race my own boat.  I have a feeling it would be
a very humbling experience.  Currently I cheat when I race.  I get on the
fastest point-of-sail for the conditions and let the other boat try to catch
me.  Only bigger boats can catch me; possibly because I’m always the smaller
boat.

On paper our boats look pretty fast, especially off the wind.  Not much drag
down below and lots of sail up above relative to the weight of the boat, and
a long waterline for a 22-footer.

>From the US SAILING website:
http://www.sailingusa.info/cal__sad_ratio.htm
http://www.sailingusa.info/cal__sad_ratio.htm
The sail area/displacement ratio (SA/D) indicates how fast a boat is in
light wind.
Cruisers are 10 to 15.
Cruisers/Racers are 16 to 20.
Racers are above 20.
High performance racers are above 24.
At 300 square feet of sail and 3,000 pounds, a Rhodes22’s SA/D is 23.

>From Sailing Breezes magazine:  “The boat feels responsive and is both easy
to sail and fun. To put this into perspective, the PHRF of the Catalina 22
is 270, the O'Day 22 is 279 and the Rhodes is 258. Not a race boat like the
J-22 (177), but very respectable for a 22' trailerable cruising boat.”

I’m not sure where they got that PHRF.  The most I’ve heard about racing
Rhodes has been on this post.  Although our boats are extremely easy to sail
I think it takes a very experienced and skilled captain to get our boats up
to their maximum speed.

A deeper, heavier keel would probably improve our reaching performance even
with the added weight and drag.  Unfortunately those boats are lacking in so
many ways compared to our Rhodes.

For the right price I bet Stan would consider making a deep keel version of
our boat.  I also bet that a deep keel version would require the buyer to
have some very deep pockets.

Good luck to you racers!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE