[Rhodes22-list] Cabin floor warp

KenBates btskend at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 11:37:45 EDT 2011

  This repair happend last fall. A series of computer failures resulted in
the loss of the photos I had taken.
The recovery of some of those photos is motivation to post this story. It
will be in segments as I hate to type! please note that this all happened
last fall and the repairs are finished, suggestions are welcome, but its a
done deal.
   When I purchased Serenity I noticed that the cabin floor had a depression
under the mast support post.
I wasn't overly concerned as the boat overall was in much better condition
the other boats I had been looking at. Having been sold on a Rhodes 22 by a
chance encounter with an enthusiastic rhodes owner
and having lost a boat by thinking about it for a day! I bought her gladly.
   Preparing to launch her last spring (puchase in the middle of winter) I
discovered that the floor had a "moustach" shaped distortion and that the
two center stringers apeared to be raised higher than the rest of the floor.
During the Summer I rebunked and refreshed the trailer.Being ready to
believe that the sloppy half rotted bunks had let the bottom rest heavily on
the keel roller and center guides causing the warp.
At boat out time it was aparent that the hull had not changed shape and the
trailer had ample clearance so
I installed a couple of jacks between the cabin roof and the stringrers,
plugged in a heater and let it set for a week with no change......... more
later
Ken
http://old.nabble.com/file/p31371371/floor.jpg
http://old.nabble.com/file/p31371371/floor2.jpg