[Rhodes22-list] motor position up or down

Sling daysails at aol.com
Fri Aug 5 08:32:17 EDT 2011

I tried to get an answer to this question on the list but the index is under
construction.  I have the power motor lift and would like to know in what
position I should leave the motor when not in use.  I have a wet slip and
leave the boat in the water.  I have been keeping the motor in the up
position (out of the water) partly because I enjoy the pushing the remote
and impressing by standers.  I wonder if the motor’s weight puts more stress
on the system when in the up position and therefore I should keep in the
down position (in the water} when left at the dock for weeks at a time.  I
have the boat in fresh water.   As an aside, I really enjoy the ease of this
system but twice now I have accidentally pressed the remote.  Once when I
sat on it while it was in my pocket and once when I knelt on it as I was
working on the engine.  I now keep it on the “secret” shelf when not in use.
Thanks for any suggestions on the ups and downs of motor lifts.