[Rhodes22-list] Clew shackle and block blowout

Ron Kaye ronkaye343 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 15:34:22 EDT 2011

While attempting to set the main at a reefed position in a stiff breeze on
Saturday, the sail shook so vigorously that the clew shackle came
apart.  The only thing that landed inside the boat was a very small pin.  We
tied the outhaul directly to the clew with a scrap of rope and were able to
sail, however I'd like to replace that piece.

As I recall there was a shackle as well as a small block that were attached
and the outhaul ran through this to the block on the outhaul car.  I've
looked at outhaul parts and pieces on the internet and cannot find what
appears to be what I remember being there.

Should I just get a shackle that will fit and attach it to the clew grommet
and also to a small block?  The old one had a tension-type pin
attachment.  Should I replace that exactly?

Could anyone who has had to replace this part successfully please let me
know a part # and manufacurer or a link to a retailer.
Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

Ron & Lisa
Nautisaurus