[Rhodes22-list] Boom-shackle shackle (previously Clew shackle and block blowout)

Ron Kaye ronkaye343 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 14:14:45 EDT 2011

Brian,
We just got replacement shackles today - and its a bit heavier than what was
there.  Lisa reminds me that the block didn't actually come off but that we
used that to tie the clew onto.  In all the noise and excitememnt one can
overlook a detail like that.  So we should be in good shape until the block
goes South - then we will get a heavied up block.  It is a nice mechanical
advantage to have those two blocks with the outhaul to pull the sail out
more smoothly - especially when you start falling off the wind.

*****
Mine broke two weeks ago (the block, not the shackle). I agree they seem to
be less robust than most other parts of the boat.

Bought an all-brass replacement for insert 10 bucks at a local boat store.
Of all the things that can go wrong, this is one of the cheaper ones...

The day it broke I simply passes the outhaul directly through the shackle,
it worked fine, but did take some extra effort to pull the sail out.

-Brian