[Rhodes22-list] Boat Covers

peter klappert peterklappert at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 00:29:39 EST 2011

Rick--

Thanx for the clarification.

The boat will be on a lift at my dock (behind my house here in FL), and it will be there fully rigged most of the time. That's why I said "uncovered lift"  Maybe I should say "naked lift" to distinguish it from a boat cover! I imagine I'll only store the mast (etc) if I'm going away for a long period that includes hurricane season. Right now I'm away for months at a time.

The lift is across from a mangrove nature preserve & there are loads of large birds around--ospreys, pelicans, ibises, egrets, a variety of herons, and lots of gulls, especially laughing gulls who have a lot to laugh about anytime my next-door neighbor cleans fish on her dock. Thanks to her generosity there's frequently an antiquated great blue heron waiting optimistically on my dock. I've never found inflatable owls and plastic hawks etc did much as scarecrows.

Also there's a power plant in the middle distance. I haven't been bothered by fallout, but another neighbor, who used to keep a 34' or 36' C&C at the dock behind his house, says it was occasionally necessary to power-wash away soot.

So it's the combination of avian traffic, illegal coal soot and the Florida sun that makes me want to cover the R22.  I'd like a cover that can be used both when the boat is rigged and when it's on a trailer with the mast down. (I don't know how one would provide for stays & shrouds--cutouts maybe.) I have an idea for a 2-piece cover that snaps or zips together at the cockpit end of the cabin, with a flap on the forward piece to keep rain out. The C&C neighbor tells me he used a cover with a full skirt because the soot made black streaks down his hull, but that's too complicated for me. I bet emissions standards have changed too.

Thanks again for the clarification. I'm surprised boat covers on R22s seem to be rare. We used them on moored daysailers when I was younger, but that was partly because of rain.