[Rhodes22-list] Doggie update...Rummy

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 1 09:57:51 EST 2011

Rummy,
Thanks for the kudo but if you could see how special this guy is, you'd do the same thing. see photo of Timi, my Lab, jackie, & his sister Annie who died of heart failure last winter. she was just as much of a honey as jackie is..such happy kids they are! (When I call 'em kids, I never thought I'd be changing diapers at my age!)
Re: Coonhound Paralysis...dogs get it probably from a bite from a coon...they believe there is an antigen in the saliva that sets off a reaction in the dog's body resulting in paralysis.
.the thurs before we found jackie paralyzed he & Maggie had treed & shortly thereafter killed a young coon..We saw Jackie licking his right paw for several days but didn't really see anything other than the fur being disturbed and a small lump under the skin. There really is little difference between this & botulism in dogs, who are actually quite resistant to it. the only difference is that the recovery in coonhound is longer & there is no antibody resistance, so he could actually end up like this again from another bite. What eventually kills them is the paralysis getting to the lungs and'/or heart. THey can be put on life support but that can be really $$$$. So if after three or four days they are still alive it will just take time, & i have a bit of that to spare.
The vet remains convinced that it is botulism, says that only coonhounds can get the other . A quick search for coonhound paralysis will show that that is not the case. In fact, word has gotten around down here & two friends have had dogs die from it..one was a Chow. I believe most people will put their dogs down rather than do what we have done. The first three weeks we got no sleep at all...just like a new baby, he had to be changed often, water taken to him, and his position changed to prevent sores. We eventually resorted to taking turns sleeping on a mat next to him as he would just cry  & moan. The first night he slept through to about 5 AM we thought he's died...;^)
elle

Beer is good....people are crazy

1992 Rhodes 22    Recycled '06"Watermusic"  {Lady in Red}