[Rhodes22-list] Loose centerboard

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Jan 13 11:46:20 EST 2011

I know that the best parts come from General Boats so you miight want to
order the gasket from Stan.

I have replaced my gasket with great success using MSC Direct P/N:83039842
(Neoprene Rubber Thickness: 3/16 Width: 6 Length: 60 Durometer: 40 Color:
Black), currently, $24.84
(http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PACACHE=000000169072911).

Get out a box cutter and a 1/4" punch and use the existing gasket as a
template to cut the "slot".  I prefer to use the actual fiberglass trunk as
a template to punch the holes, being sure to slightly stretch the material
to make sure that the gasket will lay flat when compressed (it expands when
compressed).

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "BillyDoc"  Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:34 AM
{snip}
> I can't think of any other details, but if you do just let me know.  The
> system seemed to work well, given the shortness of the test my wife and I
> gave it.  We barely got clear of the dock when we found the trunk gasket
> had
> a pretty bad leak.  The rubber had hardened to the point it didn't seal
> well, and I need to replace it.  Not wanting to go for a swim we hustled
> back and pulled the boat out.  Then, of course, it got cold.
{snip}