[Rhodes22-list] Loose centerboard

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Fri Jan 14 11:13:43 EST 2011

Usually the ends of the centerboard alignment pin have plastic bearings on
them. If yours are missing, then they disintegrated and fell into the dark
abyss. I don't remember what they were made out of, but I do remember they
were  white. My guess would be that they were simply made from standard PVC
pipe, cut  to about 3/4 of an inch in width. It was a snug fit, but they
turned  easily.

Rummy

In a message dated 1/14/2011 10:43:58 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cushman at cox.net writes:

Greg PA wrote:

> What size is your pin?

Hi Greg,

Our pin was probably like yours, a piece of  thin-wall stainless.  I think
the diameter was one inch, I don't  remember the length.

I know what you mean by the jamming.  I  managed to slip some nylon
strapping
around the CB and used that to pull it  up and control it so it came out of
the trunk more or less a  straight.  Those things are heavy!  You do want
the
CB to slip  laterally on the shaft during normal operation so it can center
itself in  the trunk without putting much pressure through the pin which
would force  it into the fiberglass slot-sides.  I really hope you don't
have
to  cut the tubing, as that would not be easy to do without  damaging
something.

We live in Pensacola, Florida.  I will  definitely be taking the CB out to
replace the trunk gasket when things  warm up a bit so if you are close let
me know and we can coordinate a time  when the trunk is open.

Bill
http://old.nabble.com/Loose-centerboard-tp30013496p30672810.html