[Rhodes22-list] Fwd: Will your GPS work when you need it? Act Now!

peter klappert peterklappert at comcast.net
Wed Jul 13 13:30:54 EDT 2011

This ought to concern all of us--->

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "BoatU.S. Government Affairs" <govtaffairs at boatus.com>
To: "PETER KLAPPERT" <peterklappert at comcast.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:10:55 PM
Subject: Will your GPS work when you need it? Act Now!

BoatU.S. Government Affairs
July 12, 2011

Dear BoatU.S. Member,

As a result of a new proposal to use radio bandwidth right next to the existing GPS service, the future reliability of the GPS system across the United States is now in question. We encourage you to contact the FCC during a short 30-day public comment period, to help them understand the public’s need for continued, reliable GPS signals for safe navigation on boats, in cars, and for so many other daily uses.

CLICK HERE TO TAKE ACTION

http://capwiz.com/boatus/utr/1/ONHCQDYDFM/LSXCQEFHFT/7120720066

Background: Earlier this year, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) gave conditional approval to a private company, LightSquared, to begin a nationwide broadband service adjacent to the radio spectrum used for GPS. After concerns from user groups (including BoatU.S.), the FCC required significant testing and a report for potential conflicts with aviation, cellular, navigation, and four other GPS uses before this proposal could move forward. In that June 30th report the navigation sub-team concluded “that all phases of the LightSquared deployment plan will result in widespread harmful interference to GPS signals and service and that mitigation is not possible.”

For more information: www.BoatUS.com/gov

In 2010 the US Coast Guard shut down Loran, leaving mariners using electronic navigation to rely solely on GPS. Now, this fast-moving threat to GPS could pull the plug on our ability to safel navigate within the U.S. Public comments on LightSquared’s proposal will be taken until Saturday, July 30, 2011. Following that, the FCC will make a determination on what this private company can do with this vital public resource.

We ask that you take a minute today, as a boater and a citizen, to request that the FCC reject the proposed LightSquared plan to deploy a private nationwide broadband service that can cripple the nation’s GPS systems. Because it is not easy to find your way through the FCC’s comment web forms, we suggest you follow the link below. Our software will help you easily construct a letter, which will be electronically delivered to your Members of Congress and BoatU.S. We will then print your letter and hand deliver it to the FCC before they close on Friday, July 29th.

CLICK HERE TO TAKE ACTION

If you have any additional questions, please contact BoatU.S. Government Affairs at Govtaffairs at BoatUS.com

Thank you for being a BoatU.S. Member!

Margaret Podlich
Vice President, BoatU.S. Government Affairs
Govtaffairs at BoatUS.com
703-461-2878 x8363

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. If you prefer not to receive BoatU.S. Government Affairs Alert emails go to http://www.boatus.com/gov/unsub.asp or use the link at the bottom of this message.

	If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here .