[Rhodes22-list] Murphy's Law revisited

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 20:09:28 EDT 2011

The step is a simple repair.  Don't ask how I know :(

I filled the torn out screw holes with thickened epoxy and faired some
gelcoat that pulled off with the step.  Cleaned up the step and replaced
with the screws and a good amount of non-adhesive type caulk.

On the ridge, I would clean up the edges of the crack.  Starting from
underneath, apply epoxy and fiberglass tape to provide strength.  Fill the
hole with epoxy with colloidal silica for bulk.  Maybe more tape on top.
Fair the surface with epoxy and sandable filler (microballoons?) then paint.
Had to do this sort of thing a lot with previous boats.  Don Casey's "This
Old Boat" has a lot of guidance, and is in a lot of libraries.  West System
web site is also good.

Good luck and don't let it get you down.

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 recycled '03