[Rhodes22-list] Holding Tank Pump out

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Fri Jul 15 14:35:08 EDT 2011

I have a marine head with a holding tank, thru hull macerator and deck
mounted pump out fitting.  I have tried with mixed results to use the marina
pump out system and do not seem to be getting any significant suction to
empty the tank.  I tried completly filling the tank with water and was not
able to get the pump out system to have enough suction to pull the water out
of the holding tank.  Am I missing some basic concept here?  Do I need to
open an air vent or valve?  I have an air vent on the side of the hull and
it does not seem to be clogged and the only valve I am aware of is the
macerator valve that controls the thru hull fitting.  I have used pump out
facilities on larger boats and the hull fitting seems larger and to have a
more secure air tight conection to the suction hose.  I have tried rocking
the suction hose, lifting it off and pushing it back in place without much
luck.  Any advice would be appreciated.