[Rhodes22-list] 1984 for sale - Question from prospective buyer

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 19 10:42:00 EDT 2011

Charles, I have taught beginers to sail in +20 knots more by circunstance than choice.  As long as you are able to have the right amount of sail out the boat handles just fine.  The bigger variable is the skill of the skipper.  I get to maximum pucker when a rookie is at the helm in these conditions and am ready to take the boat at a seconds notice if he/she starts making bad choices.  Down wind is by far the most dangerous, the inertia of an accidental jibe in big wind and waves will cause the mast to go in the water.  Lots of time in those conditions it is just my Rhodes and a couple 30 footers out on the water.  The only downside of the Rhodes in favor of the big boats is that the waves caused by the big winds effect the lighter Rhodes much more.  I hope it helps.  BTW I have a student that wants to buy a Rhodes, so if you hear of a buyer from St. Louis, you can thank me.

Bob Weber
Odyssey Sailing School
www.OdysseySailing.com

SV Ruba