[Rhodes22-list] Sculling

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri Jul 29 14:57:24 EDT 2011

Joe,

I just did it a few weeks ago when my fuel line broke.  Fortunately I didn't
have far to go.  Stan said you could get the boat up to 3 knots sculling in
calm water and I believe it.  My tiller isn't tight in the rudder bracket
and I didn't like the way it felt with all that play in it.  The biggest
problem is that you want your rudder pulled up half way to get a good angle
for propulsion but it's a terrible angle for steering.  I found myself
paddling for speed and then coasting while trying to steer.

Give it a try--works better than you'd think, but it also works you better
than you'd think.  Unless you're in Olympic shape I'd recommend taking it
slow and easy.  I was definitely sore the following day.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD