[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Talk

Ellner ellner at pressenter.com
Sun Mar 13 12:37:32 EDT 2011

Hey

I was informed I should have proofread this before I sent it.  I use the hunt and peck method on my I-phone.
A friend of mine added a second axel, new fenders and disk brakes to my trailer. The disc brakes are on only one axle . The trailer now trails with no shimmy at any reasonable speed. Shortly after the work was done we were on the road with the trailer in tow.I looked down at the speedometer and I was going 80 mph. Needless to say I slowed down to something more reasonable.  With the new weight distribution I can move around the boat without the tongue leaving the ground. No need to block the trailer frame up or added jacks. The fear of having a flat tire is much less also.

When I was backing the trailer in to retrieve the boat the wheels dropped off the concrete apron. When I tried to pull the trailer back onto the apron the lip of the fender which hangs below the frame about an inch prevented me from pulling the trailer back up on the concrete apron. So, I backed the boat over the trailer and wrapped the dock lines around the trailer frame just below the winches. I winched the trailer up snug to the boat and pulled it all forward enough to get the wheels back on the apron. I untied the trailer from the winches and drove the boat forward which was headed backward off trailer, remember, I had backed on the boat? I motored boat around so it was facing forward and retrieved it just as Stan describes on the website. All this time a power boater was  slowly loading his cigarette boat on his trailer, watching me with great interest. As I drove out of the water, thinking how clever I had been, I said to him, "no one ever has to know what you have just seen". He said, " Your secret is safe with me." we waved good by and I drove off......so after that experience I had a skid plate welded to the frame of each side of the trailer to hang just a little lower than the leading edge of the fenders. Now if it drops off the apron when I am pulling the boat out it can ride the skids to clear the fenders.
Whew.
Rod

I have a question, please. I was reasons the GB site about the new trailer features. What is the rating of the new winch. What is the size and material of the new bunk material?
Are the bolt holes elongated to compensate for the loaded&  the unloaded position deflection of the bunks?

Sent from my iPhone