[Rhodes22-list] The Season Has Begun-splash III

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Wed May 4 12:24:27 EDT 2011

I skipped the bottom paint this year, first,because it won't quit
raining,and second,I'll pull Country Rhodes for a road trip to Lake
Norman,NC, the last week of June. She will look nice going down I-77 with
a new coat of bottom paint.

As always,the first splash is not without mishap.I was attempting to put
the brand spanking new ,just out of the box,  windex ,with bird spike,into
it's mount on the top of the mast.It had been drizzling all day,everything
was wet and the windex didn't want to seat all the way to the bottom of
the mount. On the third try,the wet,gravity,and davey jones conspired to
steal
 my windex. On a high note,once I got the mast up,the anchor ,steaming
,and foredeck lights all worked. I love LED lights.

After an hour and a half of rigging (slow work takes time)I was heading
out the channel to the main lake. After striking sail at the main lake
,the sun came out.After 4 tacks(small lake),so did the wind.I had water
gushing over the port gunnel twice in 45 minutes.It started to look nasty
towards the west,so I headed back to my slip and drove all the way home in
the rain,good timing!

Jerry Lowe
S/V Country Rhodes '86