[Rhodes22-list] New Sailor Fears

Bill Pauer billpauer at gmail.com
Mon May 9 21:54:00 EDT 2011

Hello, Everyone,

My family and I are the proud new owners of our first Rhodes 22 (a
1980 Rhodes which you may have seen on the list about a month ago).  I
am working on a list of mechanical questions for the list, but for the
moment I was hoping for some help with one of my crew.  I have a
twelve year old daughter and fourteen year old son.  While we don't
have much sailing experience as a family, my wife has had sailing
lessons and has actually instructed on small boats and I have sailed
for many years making it up as I went along.  The trouble I am having
is convincing my fourteen year old son that the boat is not going to
capsize.  I would like to say that it can't happen, but I am fairly
sure that is not the case.  I did read in "The Report on the Rhodes
22"  on Stan's site that because of the flared sides, the boat will
not capsize while under sail.
Does anyone have a story that I could share with my son that might
instill some confidence that the chances of turning turtle and sinking
to the bottom of the lake are slim to none?
Thanks for your help.

Bill