[Rhodes22-list] New Sailor Fears

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 22:13:39 EDT 2011

Hi, Bill,
Congrats & welcome to 'da list.' we're a fine group of folk, (much to our dismay  ;^) who are willing to step in w/advice and drink mixes.
I was once the world's chickenest sailor..I loved it but was terrified most of the time. So, In answer to your query, I have several things you can tell him....  I was always convinced that I was going to capsize in our previous boats..all larger than my R22. It was Steve Pettingill, I believe, who years ago patiently explained to me that the wind will push the boat over just so far and then the wind will spill over the top of the sail. (Just don't tell him about knockdowns yet.)
You can also show him how you can lower the main by lowering the boom & closing the poptop. The BEST single thing you can do (IMHO) is go out on gentle days at first & give him the main sheet. Show him how to release it if he feels uncomfortable...you won't go anywhere...but he'll feel in control & that will help with his unease.
Good luck & keep us posted.
elle

Beer is good....people are crazy

1992 Rhodes 22    Recycled '06"Watermusic"  {Lady in Red}