[Rhodes22-list] New Sailor Fears

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Tue May 10 14:17:34 EDT 2011

Bill, Welcome - I am an American Sailing School instructor and the capsize question comes up the first day of every class.  I can assure you that the boat will not capsize under sail alone.  Some serious inertia would be needed (not the kind you get from all but the most damaging winds - straight line stuff that take out trees and such)  I have a nice demonstration which is an audio visual so no good for an email.  I have had more than 200 complete rookies at the helm is all kinds of wind.  If Ruba could be tipped they would have.  We have had her so far on her ear that water came into the cockpit but then she would pop right back up.  After a butt soaking, I would assure everyone that "that is as far as she will go" which usually puts everyone at ease enough that they try to do it again.  As far as life jackets, any time I have paying clients aboard, I make them wear at the very least an inflatable Type V.  Stearns make one that looks like a fanny pack, you pull a cord and it inflates.  I doesn't not work on an unconscious person but in that instance I plan on going overboard after the victum.  With any new - to you - boat you should be cautious the first season with concern to weather.  Even an experienced sailor can look like a buffoon on a boat he is not familiar with in trying conditions.  It may be a good idea to send your kids thru ASA-101.  Kids always listen to other people better than their folks, they might take pride in their achievement which will help their enthusiasm.  Trust me you will get a lot more time to play on the boat if the rest of the crew is "on board" so to speak.  To find a school go to www.asa.com   If you are in the midwest and want the class to be on a Rhodes 22 contact me at www.OdysseySailing.com   Congratulations on your purchase.

Bob Weber
SV Ruba