[Rhodes22-list] Electric Outboards

Rick sloopblueheron at gmail.com
Tue May 17 14:17:00 EDT 2011

Peter,

Sign up for the Yahoo group on repowering gas or diesel with electric.  Most
of it concerns sailboats.

After being on that group a while, I considered replacing my 9.9hp gas
outboard with a Torqueda of equal thrust.  Cost of motor and batteries would
be about the same as a new electric start gas engine.

Pros of the electric are:

   - Quiet
   - Better weight distribution
   - Easier moving the prop in and out of the water

Cons of electric are:

   - Expensive reserve battery cost for long distance travel compared to
   carrying a spare gas can.
   - Unknown battery and motor performance/durability in the big waves.

So I'm still waiting for the cons to recede.

As for trolling, why not just sail?

Rick