[Rhodes22-list] Trailering Checklist?

Wickman, William E WEWickman at spectraenergy.com
Mon May 23 11:04:15 EDT 2011

The 4x4 never touches the deck.  Basically, I cut one end down to something like 3x4 so it would fit in the stainless steel mast step.  I then cut a V notch in the other end to help hold the mast bundle.  I attach the bottom using the same long bolt that is used to attach the mast to the step.  I don't tighten it all the way so that it can move up and down slightly over the bigger bumps in the road; thus keeping the screws that attach the mast step to the cabin top from pulling out.  Up top, I drilled a hole through the 4x4 and secure the mast bundle to the support with a rope and also run another line from the 4x4 to to the bow cleat just to keep the support vertical  (since the mast bundle slopes up from bow to stern it helps to put some tension on the support toward the bow to keep it snugged up against the mast bundle).

That's a lot of words for something that would be much easier shown in a picture.  I have toyed with the idea of just using a stiff bungee cord to dampen the mast motion, but I like taking some of the weight off of the bow pulpit.

Bill W.
s/v Fina Lee