[Rhodes22-list] keel CB issue

Andrew Collins sailingvesselcarmen at gmail.com
Tue May 31 16:54:48 EDT 2011

Dear List - I need a little help on the keel fiberglass deterioration at the
centerboard trunk. There is a area that looks abraded and pitted to about
1/4" depth on the starboard side of the keel nearest the bow immediately
adjacent to the CB trunk opening. I attach 2 pix to illustrate. I suspect I
can grind out the pitting with a belt sander and fill with epoxy and then
bottom paint.
Does anyone know if the fiberglass is sufficiently thick at this point? Any
advice is welcome.
The pictures clearly show that there is no red bottom paint on the top of
the centerboard, yet there is no marine growth there. This is in water when
the boat is afloat, so why ? is the dark paint bottom paint?
There was very little marine growth in the trunk itself, I scraped at it
with a thin wood slat and knocked out some dust and debris like dried algae
and tiny barnacles. The CB pivots freely. How often do any or all of you
bottom coat the interior of the trunk? Stan told me to do it annually, but I
am not going to this year as it is still clean.
 Thanks for any input!
Andrew
sv Carmen