[Rhodes22-list] re placement tiller for 86 Rhodes 22

DownHill jadoucet at snet.net
Tue May 31 22:29:05 EDT 2011

Good point.  If you are pointing high & get hit with an unanticipated gust
then you need to be able to dump the load on the main with the traveler
control.  I put in an upgrade to the standard control that was recommended
on this list a couple of years ago. I can uncleat the traveler from where I
sit. After the gust I go to the stern & reset the traveler. I hope the
members of this list consider sailing to be an aerobic exercise?

One can also reduce heal with the Genoa sheet if you lead it onto the high
side. I have the furling 175% Genoa which is larger in area than my furling
main, so one can reduce heal with the Genoa. If there is a long lasting gust
dump the Genny & furl a bit to regain control.

I think the Rhodes is a nice boat for sailing single handed.   I also have
an electric motor which can be reliably turned on when all else fails. In
thunder storms the furling systems allow one to shorten sail almost
instantly.  Attaboy Stan!

DownHill

How in the world do you handle the main sheet if you are next to the cabin
when sailing?

Rummy

In a message dated 5/31/2011 12:14:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,