[Rhodes22-list] Jump Starter

Benjamin Cittadino BCittadino at dcs-law.com
Fri Nov 18 10:48:49 EST 2011

I'm already dreaming of Springtime. Toward that end I am considering
including a jump-starter for use with the battery that is connected to
the electric starter for my 2004 9.9 Yamaha outboard. The Yamaha always
runs well once started but despite my solar panels I have had a couple
of hard starting days when I needed a little more "oomph" from a
borrowed jumper to get the engine started after several weeks sitting in
the slip. I think I will get some piece of mind having one but the range
of choices is pretty extensive. I guess I want one that has overcharge
protection for itself while I plug it in at home, and I suspect I want
it to be fairly light weight. Anyone have any thoughts to share on this
subject?

By the way, does anybody understand these Yamahas that don't have a
choke knob? The choke must be automatic but a few times I could only get
her started buy blocking the air intake port to enrich the fuel mixture.

BenC

S/V Susan Kay

(R22 1993 recycled 2008)