[Rhodes22-list] Jump Starter

Dennis McNeely mcneelyd at site-solutions.com
Fri Nov 18 15:29:36 EST 2011

Benjamin,

I think the secret is in the charger. I've had good luck with
BatteryMinder
<http://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Volt-Amp-Battery-Charger/dp/B000X2B0RW>(no
affiliation). It has settings for flooded, gel, or agm cells, and has a
maintenance cycle which takes care of the long term care and feeding of
the battery when it's not in use. It also has a sensor available to
ensure the charge voltage is temperature compensated.

FWIW, I've had good luck using a small agm battery to start our 9.9
Mercury Bigfoot - I think it was one designed for use with jetskis /
personal water craft. Agm batteries are pricey, but they'll operate in
any position (even upside down), don't leak (even if the case is
broken), and have a very low rate of self-discharge - so they'll hold a
charge for months if unattended.

Good luck with it.

(Another) Dennis
s/v Magic Moments

On 11/18/2011 10:48 AM, Benjamin Cittadino wrote:
> I'm already dreaming of Springtime. Toward that end I am considering
> including a jump-starter for use with the battery that is connected to
> the electric starter for my 2004 9.9 Yamaha outboard.
     -- snipped --