[Rhodes22-list] Bottom's off

Rob Granger rgranger at sbc.edu
Tue Nov 22 17:56:32 EST 2011

Hey Rhodies....

I wanted to share with you all a wonderful trick that I recently
learned from one of my other lists.  I made some homemade "peel away"
bottom paint remover and it worked wonderfully (see pics).  Here is
what I did.  I took about 5 pounds of potassium hydroxide (KOH) and
one bag of hydrated garden lime (powdered lime) and put it in a PVC
bucket (I also added glycerin) and added water until it was the
consistency of pancake batter.  I then rolled it onto the bottom of
the boat using a standard paint roller on a long pole.  I let it sit
for 4 days and then hit it with the pressure washer.  The bottom paint
just peeled right off.  I'll rake up the chips and dispose of them
once they dry out.

I was told that the paper that is sold with Peel Away is just to keep
it moist so the active ingredient can work longer.  So instead of
paper, I added glycerin to keep my paste moist.  If you don't have
access to glycerin, I suspect that adding a 5lb bag of sugar to the
mix will have the same effect.  .... and if you don't have access to
KOH or NaOH, you can simply substitute two cans of drain-o.  That is
what drain-o is made from.   The hydrated lime is just a binder
(matrix) to make it past-like so it will stick to the bottom of the
boat.

When rolling it on, pull the roller towards you instead of pushing it.
 That way the past gets squeegeed off of the roller on the uphill side
of the roller instead of spilling off of the down hill side.

See you on the water,

Mack