[Rhodes22-list] What Size Outboard?

Dennis McNeely mcneelyd at site-solutions.com
Wed Oct 5 18:33:59 EDT 2011

Rob -

One other comment about western Lake Erie - the lake's east/west axis works
with the prevailing westerly winds, barometric pressure of storm systems,
etc., causing seemingly random 'tides' on the lake from time to time. Here
at the west end of the lake, I've seen 5 or 6 foot changes in the water
elevation overnight (although changes that big are rare). Look for signs of
the 'normal' water elevation on piers, seawalls, etc - and don't anchor out
in water that's relatively shallow if the lake water is already near
'normal' elevation.

Some people we know spent the night on their boat. The picture was taken in
the lower Detroit River, after the wind came up and blew the water out. It
wasn't a huge deal, the water came back later that day - just something to
be aware of.

Pardon me if I'm telling you something you already knew. How was I to know??
<grin>

cid:3337325028_149542

Dennis & Sassy

s/v Magic Moments

berthed in Gibraltar, Michigan

Please remove most of the quoted text in your reply - leave just enough to
provide context. This keeps messages smaller for faster downloading while
onboard (and easier reading).