[Rhodes22-list] Chain plate replacement

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Thu Oct 13 14:05:23 EDT 2011

Andrew,
We just covered this not long ago.  Here are photos of the replacement that Slim did (or had done) after consulting with Stan.  You are correct, the chain plate does bend 90 when it comes through the cabin top and is screwed to the bottom of the plywood in the cabin top.  Both Slim and I mounted our replacement through the cabin side.  Both of us opened up the headliner by cutting it and covering with a plate.  From a previous post...

Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Bad News

Not too bad.  Here are some photos of what Slim did when he had a pulled chain plate.

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20080828/739e8461/attachment-0001.jpg

Above shows backing block epoxied to the outside skin after an access hole is cut in the cabin liner.

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20080828/739e8461/attachment-0002.jpg

Shows attachment screws that are drilled through cabin side and inner backing block.  I used nylons screws for this instead of metal because I wanted the screws to break if this ever happened again.  Didn't want the whole cabin side being ripped out.

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20080828/739e8461/attachment.jpg

Shows cover plate over access hole.

The inner chain plates bend once they come through the cabin top and are screwed into the cabin top plywood under the cabin liner.  What Slim and I both did was mounted a straight chain plate to the boat and attach it through the side of the cabin.  I'm pretty sure Stan came up with this repair.  I'm using Slim's photo's since he did a neater job than I did. - rob